Water damage and persistent excess humidity can promote the silent, often undetected growth of surface mold. This mold occurs naturally at innocuous levels in most indoor environments, but it will grow and multiply to potentially-dangerous levels in the prolonged presence of moisture.
An indoor environment which is contaminated with surface black mold growth can contain harmful levels of airborne toxins, allergens, and mold spores. These can cause a range of respiratory problems and exacerbate the symptoms of existing conditions such as allergies and asthma. In addition to the health concerns, surface mold growth also causes costly damage to walls, carpets, drapes, clothing, and other moisture-absorbing materials.